Resources for getting help for you or your friend

In a crisis or an emergency:

  • Call 9-1-1. If you’re unsure if the situation you’re in qualifies as an emergency, it’s always safer to call and have a qualified professional provide an assessment.
  • Go to a hospital emergency room.
  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Whether you’re calling for yourself or you’re worried about a friend, someone will be there to help 24/7.
    • Veterans and their loved ones, press 1 when prompted.
  • Call the Trevor Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386. The Trevor Lifeline is a great resource for LGBTQ+ people who are seeking help.

For individual treatment:

  • Find a community counseling center or private therapist. Call the number on your insurance card to get a list of providers. Some offices offer a sliding fee scale.
  • Visit There’s a treatment locator to help you find mental health providers near you.
  • Visit samsha.govThere’s a treatment locator on this site, too.

For college students, these additional resources can provide direct assistance or guide students to the help they need:

  • Campus Counseling Center. Many campus counseling centers offer brief therapy, walk-in appointments for crises, and/or on-call availability.
  • Campus Police.
  • Student Health Services.
  • Resident Assistant.
  • Women’s Center, LGBTQ Center, etc.

If a friend is showing warning signs but is unwilling to go to a direct service like counseling, you can suggest that they talk to a trusted professor, advisor, coach, etc. who can assist in getting them into the right person’s hands. Although it is ideal that your friend is an active participant in seeking the help they need, sometimes your persuasion may not be enough. In that case, you may have to seek the assistance of a third party on their behalf, even without their permission. The important thing is that you don’t keep your concerns to yourself.

Where Can I Learn More?